Thursday, October 27, 2011

How many times do potential JAG's apply before getting accepted?

Iverson Family,

I will ask around tomorrow at our office Halloween Party but I would say nowadays that unless you are an exceptional, top law school graduate "impressee", then you may have to interview/apply more than once. I say that simple because the AF let go of JAG's last summer because the retention rate is high due to the economy. Their usual rate of JAG's that get out on their own isn't happening. More and more are staying in because their options on the outside aren't too good. The AF has also cut back on the number of new JAG's they hire each year. When you interview your application goes into a pool along side others applying. A board then ranks each candidate and the top our accepted. You can ask to have your application forwarded to the next board if you are passed over the first time. The AF cut back on the number of boards that meet each year, thus accepting less attorney's. This combination does not make me surprised that 5 out of the 6 had to interview more than once. But atlas, I will update this post after I ask around!!!

5 comments:

  1. As a fellow JAG wife, I can report that things have taken a turn for the worst in regards to the air force picking up new JAGs. The hubs had multiple friends from law school apply for at least two of the different ways one can become a JAG, and none got in. They cancelled the last few application reviews altogether. That said, make sure you are exploring all avenues for entrance because there are multiple ways (why..i'm not sure..?). Also, network! The more people you know who can write a recommendation, the better! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know! Thank you so much for answering my concerns. What are the other ways to get into JAG? My husband just got the denial letter and we were totally shocked! Top 10%, SBA prez, national arbitration team, LDS mission. The Deans at his school are former JAG's that all gave him amazing recs. And when he interviewed at the Base they said they gave him a must hire. So we are just shocked and sad! Glad to know people get in after being rejected :) I hope we find our way into the JAG family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps my husband applied at the perfect time. He got in on his first try. He applied for, I think, the June 2009 board (or summer 2009 board - my memory is failing me). We found out in August 2009 he was accepted and he started COT in March 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband was recently accepted to the JAG program too. He has applied to multiple divisions of the JAG rejected by one and excepted by another. Keep trying!

    I stumbled onto this blog when I too googled "life as a JAG wife" Thanks for answering some of my questions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you have a solid career or stable job while you're moving around so much?

    ReplyDelete