Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Yes, Sir.

Even though I'm not the military member, I am still required to respect rank. It's the unspoken rule. Our husbands are judged by what we do and say...lame. I know Colonel's have earned their rank and generally speaking I respect that but not one's that use their position of power to belittle.

Last week, I had to visit the Orthodontist to discuss treatment for my daughter. I felt completely demeaned by this Colonel, as if I was a nobody. As a result I got a little testy, called him out a couple times. After being lectured and thrown jabs here and there for a half an hour, he finally "suggested" I call my husband and have him join us. Great. I get to be demeaned all over again. Maybe he felt if my husband were there I would act different. He could demand respect from J, not me.

Oddly when J arrived the Colonel put on a "happy" act. He was completely different!! It was weird. Don't really know what to think about it but it sucked.

1 comment:

  1. I've often wondered how this goes. I've visited my husband on base a few times while he's been in training and I've found myself face to face with high ranking people and not been real sure how to act. Almost feels like you are constantly being watched!

    ReplyDelete